Sunday, October 02, 2005

lookin to get halfway

Tonight Thomas, my sweetmate and I stayed up talking about our lives and Thomas' story helped me put things in my own life into a different perspective. Thomas who we'll call him lost his fiancee, his sister to a car accident and then three weeks later his father passed away. Talk about life dealing you cards that you dont know what to do with, wheater you hold em or fold em. But folding the hand wasnt in Thomas' plans, he went in search of the love of his life to Russia to find her, and went back to law school, and is doing things like what he was doing in Chicago running in a marathon, and remaining strong for his mom. His determination for life did not allow him to give up, I admire him greatly. Just like titi, and uncle Phil for his mom its been hard to deal with the death of a child. I then the next day said my goodbyes to Thomas and made my way to a town of Gilman where I met Kim who worked at the local tribune and she donated 20 dollars for food on my trip. These 95 miles to Gilman was long going through the middle of nowhere Ill. After staying the night in a motel I left about nine to springfield in a thick fog and was hard and unsafe riding. On the way to Springfield I ran into some gear trouble and trooper Strubbee relayed me through the interstate to my motel and then relayed me in the morning to Rand M bike shop where I finally got my first gear fixed which is my easiest gear. Pat and Paul actually fixed it and schooled me to go along the Katie Trail in Missouri, thank goodness they told me cause I was about to go through the Osarks which would of been serious.Paul had rode cross country with some friends and the insight was invauable. He also gave me a computer read out of the Katy Trail which starts in St. Charles. Hey Master Sgt. freesen thanks kid, its bike dude. I had spoken to Renda and he told me of his charity run for the fire fighter Steve who ran across the tunnel to get to the Trade Center. Im so proud of him thats not easy. Hey Cravato did you win some money the other day? How bout A.J. did he win? James and O.B. SEt up some fundraisor to get me some funds to help me finish my journey. Leaving Springfield to the Ill/Missouri border it rained on me all day and night, the rain wasnt too bad its just the wind that really made it difficult. After staying in a cheap motel near the Mississippi River I TOOK OFF that morning over The Mighty Mississip on a ferry and rode to St. Louis and spent about 2 hrs there and made my way 40 miles back to St Charles where the Katy Trail began. Going across the river I FElt like Huck FINN and all I was missing was a fishing line to rig to my toe. on the way on the trail I had lost the remaining money I had besides five bucks. Worried I Got to a small town called Defiance where I met Toby and Spice from St. Louis who stuck out like a sore thumb amongst all them good ole boys. This place was the kind that people go to that dont want to be found. He FED me bought me some beers, hit me with 40 bucks and kicked it about women and how we love them to treat us. we have a lot in common that way and all we want are the little things from the women in our lives, like to be held and told that we're loved.We also talked about his buddy's battle with esophagus cancer and his near death experiences of being electricted at 7 and his bursted appendix at 13. well Im happy you're still here.Hope you come to N.Y. and visit like you said. Spice I wanted a picture, but thanks for spreading the word at work. Now Im off to Dutzow population of 75 on the Missouri river where Ill spend the night camping out. hope its o.k.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home