Sunday, October 09, 2005

My bike what the heck?

I left Cole Camp today about 8:30 am and near the Kansas border now its getting frustrating because I had to change my tube 3 times since I left today. They just keep popping and now I dont have any tubes left. I FELT like screaming at the top of my lungs so thats what I did. when I changed the tube the first time this guy Kevin in a red station wagon asked if I needed help, and I told him ''NO THANKS, I'M GOOD", BOY WAS i WRONG. 2 MORE TUBES LATER HE PULLS UP FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION AND ASKS ME AGAIN BECAUSE NOW i WAS WALKING WITH A FLAT NOT KNOWING WHAT i WAS GOING TO DO, so I said yes. We went by the Wal-MART, but that was no help.He explained to me in the car that he was originally from D.C. and his wife Betsy from Cali. They both work for themselves, he as a plumber, and she has her own store on their property where she sells a high volume of equestrian products. Their daughter Bridgette even has her own pony. He also told me how he thaught at first that I might be his wifes nephew on the bike and thats why he stopped at first, because nephew Bruce was riding in from Vegas this day but has been on the road all summer. There were no bike shops anywhere near and now I know I needed a new tire. So it being about 11or 12 Kevin invited me into his home to spend the night with him and his family. The Giles, they treated me like a son, I was fed lunch and dinner and even breakfast the next morning. We shared some beers and wine and a lot of laughs, even watched football, and I hadn't been able to see much of that this year. I was given my own room in the basement, which was so comfortable, and even had its own t.v. Kevin, and his wife were great and loving people and Kevin has to be one of the more funnier people I've ever met. Bruce had given me valuable insight, like riding on the highway out west here was o.k., and where to find places to sleep, like under a bridge if needed. Bruce is lucky to have a family like he does, you can tell they really love himm and are concerned about him. See Bruce is 28 years old and is a graduate from Columbia U. in N.Y. AND has hit some rough times right now in his life and desperately was in need of a change, thats why he came here to Missouri. The beers and wine tired me out so I hit the hay early, and by the next morning when I rose to the sounds of roosters, Kevin had already been gone, so Bruce, and Betsy had taken me to Springfield to get my tires changed with hopes they would be donated, but no chance of that. They charged me 75 dollars for everything, and with very little funds Betsy took care of the bill for me, and its not like they're rich and they still hit me. Well I said my goodbyes and they wished me well to Oklahoma. Wouldnt you know a mile away my tire blew again and I just wanted to crack the bike. I called homeboy at the bike shop and he came to me and fixed it and put a new lining in my rim because thats what was causing the flats, it was the rim.O.K. now off to Oklahoma. Kevin sorry that your pops lost his battle with prostate and bone cancer, and I know things weren't easy for you and that you had it tough in your life, but you made it through and now you're able to be there for your family and even me. Cant believe it, you're sick hitching from Cali to D.C., the 70's were different. Hey got any bootleg movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home