Monday, October 03, 2005

THE Trail, I got to get off

The trail was brutal I did about 75 miles sweaty and smelly and tired it was rough going on the gravel, but I made it to the capital of Mizzou, Jefferson City. I stayed at one of those base head motels that only cost about 27 bucks with tax, but it so well served its purpose considering where I was last night. I spoke with O.B., RICK, Jenny, Teresa, thanks terry the Berrios family came through huge along with pop. James I spoke with too and found out his back has taken a turn for the worse, most likely due to his injured knee. Sorry J.C. I love ya kid and Im praying for you like always. James if you see George from RELIG tell him thanks for all the love and support. The next morning leaving Jeff City I got about a mile and of course you know I got a flat so being frustrated I had to do something so I dropped my tour bags to lighten the load and stuffed anything I could in my back pack and dumped the rest. Watch out now with my bike lighter Im going to keep it movin a little more quicker and hopefully make it to L.A. sooner than later. I figure with about 1500 miles to go I could do a hundred a day and make it in a little over 2 weeks. Now with my bike lighter I could now move like the wind blows, But of course again now 40 miles away I got another flat in the middle of nowhere, as luck would have it though right here on rt c in dutch contry some guy name Culp had a itty bitty bike shop out of his geerage, and changed my tire. We were trying to figure out my I kept getting flats, but he couldnt figure it out.I couldnt believe that amongst nothing but farms there was a bike shop right where I needed one. I made it to a town called Cole Camp through what they call rolling hills and boy are they rolling, up, and down, and up and down, but pretty easy to ride.Cole Camp is the true definition of small town USA, man was this town beautiful, it was full of bed and breakfasts that were too expensive for me, so in my attempt to try to find somewhere more affordable to stay, I ran into Mr. and Mrs Woodington on Maple ST. in front of their collectables store and they directed me to the mayors house around the block that had rented out their garage to passer throughsfor 40 bucks. Mr Woodington actually walked me there and introduced me to Mrs. Harris, the mayors wife, and actually paid half, and talked to me about his fathers death from cancer and his sisters current battle with liver cancer.With the sun close to dissapearing , it was beautiful, and then all the sudden the bells from the local church chimed for 15 minutes and could be heard throughout the whole town, goodness was it peaceful. I didnt get to actually meet the mayor for he had been resting up from treatment, he's also dying from cancer. Its all around us. The garage was awesom and Mrs. Harris set out muphins and plenty of drink for me and even allowed me to use her cell phone all night. Even had dish T.V. and a jacuzzi, what? I finally called Andy Capuano cause I couldnt get in touch with Mitch and Andy gave me some terrible news. Mitch isnt doing too well and is now in the hospital, man was I devistated. Im going to push it harder Im coming home, I got to see you Mitch, hold on kid, you can do it, you're a fighter , you can beat this.My heart aches, but its a little heavier today. Russ, work hard and finish. Mommy pray for all of us, we all need it down here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home